If you let your property to someone else, you must register the details with Tower Hamlets Homes.
If you let your property to someone else, you must register the details with Tower Hamlets Homes. They will ask you to sign a Deed of Covenant, confirming the agreement you have with your tenant has the same conditions as your lease. For example, your lease says you are not to cause any nuisance or overcrowd the property, so the tenancy agreement you give your tenant must say the same. This is because as a landlord you are responsible for the behaviour of your tenant.
You will also need to tell Tower Hamlets Homes and the TMC your new contact details, so that we can get in touch with you if we need to. If you haven’t yet registered your sub-let with Tower Hamlets Homes, please follow the steps below:
- Ask us for a sub-letting pack (includes a Deed of Covenant and a Change of Contact Details form)
- Complete, sign and return the Deed of Covenant – along with a £25 registration fee
- Complete, sign and return the Change of Contact Details form
Gas safety obligations for landlords:
If you sublet your home, you will be responsible for the landlord’s duties arising under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. Therefore you are legally responsible for:
- Making sure your gas appliances, pipework and flues are safe and well maintained.
- A gas safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- Make sure that your tenant is given a copy of the annual gas safety check – CP12 and you must supply a copy of the CP12 to new tenants before they move into the property.
Failure to meet the gas safety requirements can lead to criminal prosecution, resulting in a fine or possibly even imprisonment. For more information on gas safety obligations for landlords, please see below:
Gas Safety: http://www.hse.gov.uk/toolbox/gas.htm
Gas Safe Register:
Tel 0800 408 5500
National Grid Emergency Line: 0800 111 999